ProGEO - International Association for the Conservation of Geological Heritage
The Executive Committee of ProGEO is appalled by the invasion of Ukraine by the Russian Federation. The military offensives have already generated a grave humanitarian crisis. The situation is a threat to all humans, and will also threaten the open scientific cooperation needed for peaceful co-existence and sustainable development locally as well as on a global scale.
But today, our thoughts go first and foremost to the Ukrainian people in solidarity with their suffering. We also include all Russian citizens who oppose the war, but are met with oppression. We urge everyone to do what we can to help Ukraine and to urge the Russian Federation to end its military offensives.
Science has proven to act as a platform for dialogue even in times of war, and therefore is a resource on which to capitalize to avoid further loss of life and disruption, including to scientific research and infrastructures. We support the position that now emerges from scientific communities around the world, see for example:
• IUGS - International Union of Geological Sciences, to which ProGEO is an affiliated association: https://www.iugs.org/
• ISC - International Science Council: https://council.science/current/news/international-science-council-statement-on-ukraine/
• IGU - International Geographical Union: https://igu-online.org/
• We also call attention to the statement of the International Association for Promoting Geoethics (IAPG): https://www.geoethics.org/_files/ugd/5195a5_ade8d693c2024f5c90b933fae3a63760.pdf?index=true
• and the open letter of Russian scientists and science journalists against the war with Ukraine: https://trv-science.ru/en/2022/02/we-are-against-war-en/
We condemn the RF's aggression against Ukraine.
Stop this war!
March 7 2022
ProGEO was established in 1993 as a European Association. In June 2021, the General Assembly decided to expand its geographical scope and now ProGEO is an International Association. This change requires some adaptations about the management and functioning structure of the association, which will be made during the next months.
We are a NGO with national groups in some countries and individual members distributed worldwide.
Is an association of all kinds of conservation practitioners and all types of geoscientists, who are involved in geoconservation as planners, as geoheritage managers and interpreters, in geological surveys, as museum curators, researchers, educationalists and those concerned with tourism.
We look to a future in which conservation of geoheritage and management of geodiversity in all landscapes is given equal prominence in all countries, integrated and on a par with other forms of biodiversity management and as a part of nature conservation. This is the focus of ProGEO together with projects that will strengthen our capacity in this field.
ProGEO is an affiliated organisation of the IUGS (International Union of Geological Sciences), and a member of the IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature).
Articles with amendments agreed by the electronic General Assembly in 2021
The page is being updated
The page is being updated